Monday, January 9, 2012

Alice Mae on another Adventure

December 13, 2011

   Well, we're off again!  This is our 4th Winter cruise.  It'll hopefully last 5-6 months and eventually get us to the  Bahamas- specifically the Exuma chain & the surrounding islands in those southern latitudes. 
   Sounds like a great plan doesn't it?? Course we can't manage to stick to our daily sail plan so what can I say... In sailing, and on Alice Mae, there are NO guarantees.



New Roller Furling Jib
Alice Mae with old jib and canvas top
   For several years I've wanted to switch out our cumbersome, hanked-on jib with a stream-lined, easy-open, easy-close roller furling system.  Much to David's dismay (his philosophy- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.) I forged onward.  I am now proud to say, Alice Mae boasts a fine, new sail and roller furling system!

   Just so you can appreciate how desperately I wanted this new jib system, here is a journal entry from last years' log.....

New Jib
8:30 Sail up. Mainsail went up pretty smoothly, Jib another matter. Battens snagged on stanchions, downhaul line wrapped around the forward standing rigging, and last but not least.. the sheet line got loose and pulled out of all its holdings and flapped in the wind in front of the boat.  Used our boat pole to retrieve the damn thing.  I am too much of a lady to mention the loud swearing, threatening ultimatums and stomping of the feet.
Miami
December 22, 2012
 We've made amazing time this year- averaging about 60 miles a day.  That's good for our little over-loaded, fat-bellied, double-wide-on-the-water.   So......here we are in in Miami. We like to anchor in Marine Stadium- a derelict basin with a bunch of derelict boats. Our kind of people.  The neon-colored skyline is an amazing nighttime backdrop for Alice Mae.
view for our Sunset drinks.  Not bad.


Boot Key Harbour in Marathon, Florida Keys

December 24, 2011
This City owned mooring field for 250+ boats is an active, fun loving community of boaters from all over the world.  David & I always enjoy our time here.


                                                                        David waiting- it's his job.


New Year Celebrations - Keys Style

 The Harbour had a lively New Years Eve Party.  Food, music and a conch blowing contest to mark the sunset of another year. My conch blowing sounds like a deflating frog.  Not exactly a winning sound.  We lasted until 7:30.  I listened to the midnight cheers from the warmth of my berth.  We're wusses.












Brave Polar Bear jumpers
On New Years Day, in keeping with tradition, the Harbour has it's own version of the Polar Bear Plunge.  The hardy participants line up at the dinghy dock, throw an ice cube into the water and, at the strike of noon- plunge in.  I believe they were eventually joined by a dog, a frisbee and a couple of stray kids.


Storm at the Moorings
Cold front coming in with big winds. White caps in the harbor.  A 2-quilt night. 
I'm so glad I'm moored.
    I'm so glad I'm moored.
         I'm so glad I'm moored.
    


2 comments:

  1. I'm really happy you've resumed your blog, Alice. I love being transported to southern Florida, the Keys, and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, Quilting on the Alice Mae is quite a beautiful passion.
    You looked so natural quilting in the picture.
    PS. We have the timeless piece of stained glass (Blue Violets) You made,You and David gave us on our wedding day. hanging in the kitchen windows with the birds on the seal, looking out into our bird haven.

    ReplyDelete